"Sunk inside our blankets"

>> Saturday, April 4, 2009

Perlie:



I love my granddaughter, but sometimes I don't think she listens to me. I didn't want to be here. If I stayed at home, I'd be fine. I don't care what the doctor said. Sometimes a sim just needs something to keep her busy is all.

But my granddaughter was rather insistent I see the doctor once my cold turned to pneumonia. There are times when she is even more stubborn than I am. It still surprises me.



*****************


"Why am I even here, Alberta? What can this woman do for me?"

"Mrs. Palahniuk," The doctor, Natalie, says to me in a gentle voice reserved for the very young or the very old, "Please. I understand your concerns. But we can at least give you a place to spend your days in comfort."

I can see Alberta putting her head down when the doctor says that. "And just who will take care of my granddaughter?"

Natalie glances over at Alberta with pity clear on her face. "Mrs. Palahniuk, do you really believe it would be better for you to stay home with her when the time comes?"

I roll my eyes. "You are a doctor aren't you? So why don't you just come out and say it?"



Natalie sits up and speaks frankly for the first time since we got there. "You are dying, and I think it would be best for you and for Alberta if you spent your last days here."

****************


Alberta visits me as I get weaker. I know she worries.

But there isn't much to say and there's never enough time to say what does need to be said. "I love you" doesn't do enough to say how much she means to me. My daughter's daughter in almost every way. I hope I have done enough, made her stronger and smarter so that she won't be taken advantage of.


"Bye Gran'ma," she says softly into my ear. "I'll see you tomorrow. I love you."

Only Alberta would know how to say those word in such a way that I can almost believe her.

5 comments:

Anonymous April 4, 2009 at 6:23 AM  

Oh that's so sad - as if Alberta needed any more tragedy in her life.

Now she needs friends more than ever.

Laura April 4, 2009 at 7:41 AM  

Oh no!!! What IS going to happen to Alberta now??? Awww, the poor girl! :(

Ugh, that last line was heartbreaking! Well done!

The Lunar Fox April 4, 2009 at 8:00 AM  

Simlife is tough-- especially when your sim goddess realizes she's never had a teen living by herself. :)

Sim law doesn't provide for teens who are left alone when parents die. And currently, though plans are in the works, there is no boarding school or orphanage to put a teen like Alberta until they go to college.

lol, Simstate, your last sentence uses almost the exact same wording I have written in the next entry. How do you do that??

Thank you, Laura.

Carla April 4, 2009 at 6:49 PM  

Oh, how terribly sad! So when Perlie dies, Alberta will have to fend for herself until college?

Did you name Perlie after Chuck Palahniuk?

The Lunar Fox April 4, 2009 at 8:40 PM  

Exactly. >:) I've never played a teen living on their own before. Sounds like fun!

No, I pretty much just grabbed names at random for Perlie and Alberta. They had the same name, but in my head I've been imagining that Perlie is Alberta's mother's mother, so I realized they shouldn't have the same last name and had to change it with SimPE.

  © Free Blogger Templates Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP