"Sing me anything"

>> Monday, March 30, 2009

Kate



I'm such an idiot. Right now, all I want to do is sleep, but instead here I sit at my desk resisting the urge to lay my head on it. Why? Because when I close my eyes, I remember the image of Alberta in Gabe's arms. I had a dream this morning that he had finally managed to charm her in that quiet way of his.





I know I can't make Alberta feel the same way I do, but I can at least keep her away from boys who probably will hurt her. She's too good for all that.

Gabe struts in with a glance at me. For once he doesn't scowl at me as he usually does when he sees me still sitting here. This time, he sits in the seat next to me. The seat Rich usually sits in.

Rich is behind him. He looks as confused as I probably do. "Hey man; you're in my seat." Gabe pats the seat next to him, the one that Gabe usually sits in. Richard shakes his head, shrugs his shoulders, and takes the seat.

My nose is still stuffy so there isn't enough oxygen getting to my brain to make it work properly. I seriously can't find a way to flat out ask him what the hell he thinks he's doing, and then I'm suddenly too tired to even try. Instead, he starts talking to me which, frankly, doesn't help the confusion.

"I need to talk to you about Alberta." Gabe glances towards the door. "Listen, something happened yesterday, but I don't know what."

I massage my temples trying to understand. "What? Then how do you know something happened?"


"She was about to cry yesterday. I caught her coming in from outside. Outside I found Glenda."

I look away as my brain fumbles over the details trying to put things together. So Gabe is sitting next to me to tell me this? It had to be serious if he was talking to me. And he thinks Glenda had something to do with it? I'm not surprised at that. Let me tell ya: "Glenda" is an ironic name for such an evil witch.

My brain finally snaps together into one coherent ball of seething anger. "Ooo, where is she? I'll clock her if she said something mean to 'Berta!"

Gabe's eyebrows come together angrily though his voice stays soft. "I already almost did that. Didn't help. She's a weasel."

The others start coming in from outside; their foot steps scuffle on the wood flooring in the lobby. Everyone enters in a large group, including Ms. Kerr who stands at the podium shuffling through her notes.

Gabe and I glare at Glenda when she walks past. I can see that she's pretending she doesn't see us, but I manage to catch a glimpse of a smirk on her face. I'm so ready to wipe that smirk off her face I hardly notice when Alberta enters.



She comes in last and takes a quick glance at me and then at Gabe before she heads to my old seat in the front of the room. My mouth drops, and I'm ready call to her to sit with me. But she doesn't turn around. She doesn't even look at me again for the rest of the class.



**************************

Is it any clearer just what Kate's problem is? *cough* XD

5 comments:

Carla March 31, 2009 at 11:51 PM  

I do believe it's crystal clear now! It was kind of funny because as I was reading this entry, my eye was caught by the "Lesbos" tag at the side!

The Lunar Fox April 1, 2009 at 7:38 AM  

"Lesbos" tag? Haha, geeze Google adds, can you be more subtle? I suppose you're using a reader to get your feeds?

It's Kate's first crush. That's what I had been doing with this entry, but crushes (especially at the beginning) are so delicate, I didn't know how to make it clear.

Anonymous April 2, 2009 at 9:46 PM  

Hmmm - was kinda wondering about Kate and this confirms it :-)

Carla April 3, 2009 at 5:01 PM  

Heh, I do use a reader but it was your own tag I was noticing, not an ad! Your Lesbos tag takes me to the entries from when Ann went to Greece.

The Lunar Fox April 3, 2009 at 6:34 PM  

Hahah, oh that tag! I forgot about that. That makes it even funnier. XD

  © Free Blogger Templates Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP