After School

>> Wednesday, February 25, 2009



"Your house is so... big!" Alberta glanced around Kate's messy bedroom as she absent mindedly moved a shirt from the spot of floor where she sat. "And the view from the hill is gorgeous. I'm surprised they send you down into the city at all!"



Kate only smiled. Alberta was so... innocent. Everything to her was amazing. Kate could picture Alberta's life script containing a lot of exclamation marks and words like, "Wow!" "I'm glad they do. I wouldn't want to stay here all the time. There's nothing to do."

Alberta glanced around Kate's room. Her large eyes seemed to take in the room in large gulps. "I would love to live here all the time. It must be so quiet."



"You prefer quiet, huh?" It was the little things, little clues and insights into the inner Alberta that excited Kate the most. It was like hunting for Easter eggs in a large and lush garden. Each clue Alberta let slip, Kate tucked away safely in the back of her mind as she slowly began to paint a portrait of the girl.

"I love it." She turned her large eyes on Kate. They were deeper and darker than the forest at night. Something lurked behind her brown eyes, but since she so rarely looked directly at anyone for longer than a moment, Kate found it impossible to see just what was hidden.



Kate smiled at her as she opened up the invitation she had been meaning to extend for weeks. "Well, any time you feel like coming over, you're free to. My dad doesn't mind giving us a lift back to the city."

Alberta appeared as if she were trying to smile, but it looked more like a grimace. "Thank you, but I can't really come over often. Just, you know, homework and stuff."



She was such an interesting, irregular girl and at her odd grimace, Kate wanted to reach over and hug her. Alberta was shy, but strong willed. She could not be pushed or pulled into doing anything she didn't want. Kate had seen that aspect of her personality right away when she had resisted Gabe's "charms."

So Kate only shrugged and said, "That's ok. It's a never ending invite, so know you're always welcome."

3 comments:

Anonymous February 25, 2009 at 8:47 PM  

Hmm, Kate has depths to her I didn't appreciate before. I hope she ends up a real friend to Alberta. It looks like Alberta needs one!

Carla February 27, 2009 at 2:04 AM  

I finally caught up with your blog and I've loved it. I'm looking forward to following it from now on. :)

The Lunar Fox February 27, 2009 at 8:30 AM  

Alberta does need a friend. Remember the first time we saw her? She is carrying a lot of pain, and she is very insecure.

But I wonder if I pressed home Kate's view hard enough. Hmm. I might have to work on it. >:D


And welcome Sullivan! It's funny, I was just looking at your blog the other day to start reading it.

It's a pleasure to have you. I hope I can make the ride even better ('cause I know it might get stranger).

  © Free Blogger Templates Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP