Just arrived

>> Friday, January 1, 2010



"A little early for a drink, inn'it it?"





Samantha stared the woman down and took a large gulp of her drink before she placed her order for a T-bone steak. She was starving, but she didn't exactly have money to burn through. She had to be careful and make it last, and the T-bone steak happened to be the least expensive thing on the menu. If she was going to waste her money, let it be on something helpful, like a good stiff drink to start the day.

She tried to take her time with her meal. Tried to not think about where in the world she was going or what she was doing because then she'd realize she didn't really know where she was going or what exactly she was doing. But it felt right. It was the right thing to do. There was something she was missing, a piece to her puzzle that had somehow managed to go missing over the course of her life when she'd been working on putting things together.


It was after she had finished her steak, sitting with a full stomach and trying to nurse her afternoon drink that she felt someone standing behind her. She did not turn around and she refused to curl up and let the little shiver roll down her back because she knew she was being watched.

"You're new here," he said as she raised her glass to her lips for something to do.

"Mmm hmm." His voice was smooth and gentle and it made her relax a little.


"I'm Water Mellon," he said with a smile as he stepped around to stand behind the bar. He was dressed well, in a suit that fit him perfectly and left both a lot and almost a little to the imagination.

"Water Mellon?"

"Yeah, my mom had a strange sense of humor. My brother's name is Green." His lips gently curved up in a pleasant manner. The way one does when they don't expect anything in return. He was relaxed and calm, and it made her feel relaxed and calm. "I own this restaurant."

"Nice place."


"Thanks. I do try." He glanced down at her shirt, the free shirt they'd given her at the train station when she'd left. (She hadn't even known they had shirts to give away to people leaving Lakeside-- what was that some sort of promotional deal?-- but it'd been free and clean, and it was comfortable.)


At least she hoped he was glancing at her shirt. He didn't say anything for a moment. She cleared her throat and decided to give him the benefit of the doubt. "I just left from there. And yes, I got this t-shirt."

"It says 'born' though. Does everyone born there get that shirt?"

She glanced down. So it did say "born." She hadn't noticed that before. "Huh. Well, I don't know. I could just be special."

He smiled at her. "Do you have a place to stay yet?"

Hopefully he wasn't going to offer her one. "I was looking for a hotel or something, but there doesn't seem to be any here."


"We're pretty small, and we don't get a lot of visitors. But I know a place you can go."

And he gave her directions to the city center and a special place that was "like" a hotel he said, but it really sounded more like one of those old flop houses for the poor. It was okay though, because technically without a job and on the go she was poor.

********************

So just for reference, because I'm sure we all know, anyone reading this blog has to be reading Lakeside Heights too, but just in case: This is Samantha Bradshaw's first stop on the grand tour of the Samantha Bradshaw project.

14 comments:

maisie January 1, 2010 at 4:08 PM  

Oooh I love it! I can.not.wait to see where this heads!!! I'm SOOO glad you are blogging here again. She seriously needs to run into some Henry *swoon* or at least in the background, cause I miss him.

Laura January 1, 2010 at 4:58 PM  

LOL, I love that you've got her drinking right from the start! The perfect start to Samantha's journey, lol!

Oh yay, I'm so excited to see who she runs into! I think I have an idea where Water might have sent her! I can't wait to see if I'm right :)

Anonymous January 1, 2010 at 5:24 PM  

Water Mellon. That's so clever. I love it!

I kind of feel sorry for Samantha, new in town, no job, not knowing anyone ... must be rather scary and a little daunting.

Anonymous January 1, 2010 at 5:24 PM  

PS. Love the new banner. I just noticed it when I scrolled up.

The Lunar Fox January 1, 2010 at 5:37 PM  

Oh, maisie, I certainly have plans. I'll have to play it out and see if she agrees with me. (She seems to be game so far!) Definitely going to have her run into some of my more interesting residents.

Laura, I'm glad you agree. (Really, on a journey like this, how else should you start? lol!) And I think I know where you think she's going, and I would bet you're close. ;)

Haha, thanks Carnaxa, frankly I've always thought so and wondered why no one noticed! XD

If I were Sam, I'd be frightened and daunted, but I get a feeling from this character that compared to what she's gone through already, this is nothing and she's probably secretly reveling in the newness and strangeness.

And thank you. I had to come up with something on the fly there for that banner, lol.

bbop January 1, 2010 at 9:31 PM  

OMG! THIS. IS. AWESOME!

Wonderful writing! I love how you've started her off, and the explaination of the Lakeside Heights tee shirt, lol!

Can't wait to see where she's headed, and I'm so happy you're back with sims 2.

The Lunar Fox January 2, 2010 at 8:44 AM  

Thanks, bbop. I'm going to have a little too much fun with that shirt I think.

Don't worry, I never really left these guys. *huggles her sims* Really, there is a charm about TS2 that TS3 somehow misses. I can't get into actually playing TS3 like I can TS2. So weird!

Carla January 2, 2010 at 5:17 PM  

I love your explanation of the LH t-shirt. Good stuff!

I adore this so far - what a great start to the project. :D Oh, and I just noticed Samantha's got her own banner. Looks awesome.

I don't think I'd be so much a fan of all the moving Samantha's going to be doing over the next 12 years of her life but I agree with you, Lunar - she seems like she might be the type to enjoy it.

The Lunar Fox January 2, 2010 at 6:05 PM  

I seriously LOVE that shirt, lol. I'm not done with it yet.

Thanks, Carla. I think poor missing Samantha deserves this. Poor gal. I hope I can write her convincingly. So weird taking over someone else's character, but this project is awesome.

She does seem like she would enjoy it. Or that she probably needs it. Oh the places she's going to go!

S.B. January 3, 2010 at 6:37 AM  

Oh this is funny and fascinating and wonderful! Love the t-shirt and the 'born there' question (I was trying to figure out what kind of logistical problems they'd run into if they gave one to everyone 'born' there LOL.). and the Water/Green Mellon name was a scream. Really looking forward to this!

Laura January 3, 2010 at 7:38 AM  

Sheesh, people, I put like three seconds of thought into that t-shirt, lol! :p

But OMG, how did I never notice: WATER MELLON!!! LOLOL!!! :)

The Lunar Fox January 3, 2010 at 8:46 PM  

Thanks, SB. LOL, I did the same with the logistical problems. I imagine Water was doing the same and that's why he was staring so long.

Ruin is so dark, I'm working on humor here-- or at least lighter entries.

LOL Laura! Now do you see how easily amused I am? Doesn't take much. I'm glad I get to go first just so I can have an excuse for her to be wearing the shirt.

Lisa January 22, 2010 at 9:45 AM  

Love it! I think Samanatha may have to become a townie in Petalbrook Heights since I'm too late to join in this.

The Lunar Fox January 22, 2010 at 2:54 PM  

Thanks. I don't think you're too late! We had quite a few openings left. You should check the VSS thread linked in the master list of stories.

About

My photo
I'm a proudly nerdy girl who knows too much about X-Men and has stories running through her head when walking. This is really my first real attempt to share just a few of the stories that not only play in my head when walking, but play out when I'm playing my sims. I hope you enjoy. ^___^

  © Free Blogger Templates Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP