Down that Road

>> Sunday, January 24, 2010

A reminder: "Sam" refers to my Samantha, "Samantha" will refer to Ms. Bradshaw.



"What are you doing?"

The green spray went wide as Samantha jumped at Sam's voice.

"Uh, spraying the roaches."




"You're kidding! Isn't your landlord supposed to do that?"

Samantha stood up and replaced the can by the front door. The can was always there, so she pretty much assumed that was the landlord's doing. That was his preventative measure.

"No, nevermind, I don't think I want to know. Why are you still living here any way? It's been over two months. Surely there are other apartments in the city."

Samantha couldn't really explain it to someone as put together as Sam. Especially when she couldn't explain it to herself. Every day she glanced at the "For Rent!" ads with the intent to look closely when she got home from work. She always told herself "later." But after seven "later"s, a week had passed. After four weeks, an entire month. Time seemed to go so quickly when you had things you intended to do later.

Sam's face suddenly softened in guilt as if she realized her words sounded harsher than she meant them to. "Ah, sorry. Well, we should head out." She seemed to attempt a smile, but it was a limping half smile that hardly covered whatever she it was she was trying to cover.





Sam's eyes hardly met hers. Samantha knew there was something wrong with her friend. Something had definitely changed. They weren't close enough to swap stories about their periods, but Samantha had thought that they were at least close enough to be honest with each other.

"Swanky place, isn't it?" Samantha looked around at all the sketchy patrons that made their big appearance at night. For once she wished she'd see one of those plant people she'd been noticing at the restaurant. She'd always found them to be weird and a little disconcerting, but she'd take a strange plant person over this crowd any day.

Sam shrugged, "It's really the only place we've got downtown." She glanced around at the crowd too, but she did it with confidence. Samantha felt a little overdressed for this crowd, but Sam looked beautiful and elegant, classy even among the questionable elements present. "The woman who runs this place is a strange one. Haven't seen her in a while, but I'm sure she makes a killing with this place."


There was an awkward silence between the two of them. Samantha wasn't quite sure what to say. In her past experience, she'd learned that calling a girl out on strange behavior usually lead to them playing it off and leaving her looking like a fool.

She looked away out over the crowd gathering to dance as she debated whether she should just flat out ask and risk looking like a fool.


Then Sam looked up at her. "Are you okay?"

That stopped her in mid scoop. Samantha looked up at Sam, her eyebrows lifting involuntarily. She was sure the disbelief was written all over her face and she knew she couldn't keep quiet any more. "Am I okay? Are you serious? You've been out of it all night."

Sam shrugged, her eyes suddenly becoming much too shiny, a hand rising in the air almost helplessly. "I know."

She didn't offer more. There were no explanations, and Samantha wouldn't press. Something had indeed happened, that was definitely clear, but Sam didn't seem fit to talk about it.

Dinner was an awkward and quiet affair. Afterwards, they stood up after paying the bill. Sam looked away from her.

"I think I'm going to head home." The corners of her lips pulled back in a sad smile. "I'm sorry. I'll call you later." Sam turned quickly and walked towards the door leaving Samantha dumb founded. What was going on with her? Sam was her first friend here, and someone she liked despite their obvious differences. At their core they were both the same. Two hurt souls bonding over shared pains and bad luck.

Samantha walked slowly after her hoping they could share a taxi though she wasn't sure if she wanted to. When she got outside, she was completely alone. Sam was no where to be seen. She couldn't have called a taxi that fast, and it made Samantha worry that the woman had walked off into the dark.

Samantha picked up the phone to call a taxi for herself hoping that if Sam had started walking, she'd run across her and offer to pay her fare for the taxi ride back into the city proper.


"Sam, hey. You're out late."

She turned around at the friendly voice calling out to Sam. At first she thought he was talking to the other Sam, but when she turned his smile was on her. Water had taken to calling her "Sam" at work which did not usually confuse her; it was just a very confusing type of night.

"Fancy meeting you here," she said with a smile, the phone still in her hand. "What're you doing here?" She said as she hung the receiver back on its hook.

Water reached over to hug her. "Same thing as you I'd guess. Unwinding after work. Funny that we both come to a restaurant to unwind."

"Not like there's much else out here," Samantha said with a smirk.

Sometimes there's a point of no return.

Water's hand on her waist was that point. She knew it was a bad idea. He was her boss after all. But he was warm, he smelled good, he was friendly, and frankly, she was lonely. Yes, she was still smarting, but she was ready to move forward now, ready to take another chance. Even a ridiculously stupid chance.

So when he offered to buy her drinks to help her unwind, she saw it coming. Not love, she wasn't an idiot. She was heading down that one way road, rolling down hill quickly.


She knew, even after a few drinks, that when he suggested the photo booth, he wasn't exactly interested in taking pictures.


She couldn't blame the booze. They hadn't had nearly enough. Her heart pounded hard against his hand softly cupping her breast through her dress. He slipped her dress up; it didn't have far to go. Her undies only had to be pushed so far, and then right there. She stifled a moan at the excitement of it, the danger of being caught.

She knew him, yet she didn't know him this way. She didn't know his hands, and she hadn't seen his body. No strings attached. If she couldn't have love, at least she could have excitement. She could be one of those girls. At least for this night knowing he wouldn't go home to his family or his young ones because he was also as lonely as she was and just as distrusting of love.





The pictures she and Sam had taken in that same photo booth lay on her plain white desk in the room as she took a late shower before bed. She had the next day off thankfully, so she could sleep in and not have to worry about facing Water until the memories faded. Her skin still tingled, the hot water from her body only heightening the strange sensation. It wasn't him, she wasn't in love with him. And though it had been fun, and nerve wracking, she was sure she couldn't do it again. Hopefully he'd wouldn't bother asking her again.

***********************************

Well well well. This worked out better than I had planned, personally. All of this was pretty autonomous. Samantha B got an invite by Water to go downtown. In the group were Sam K and his young daughter Melanie (who saw some stuff she really shouldn't have seen).

So I just recreated it for this entry. I don't do pose boxes- poopoo on you pose boxes. (Unless I really need them, of course.)


I calculate only one more entry and then she's off to Bbop's Kayton Times. (Why does that feel like a spoiler? I think we all know that she's not sticking around.)


Anyway, last night I got the *brilliant* idea that I would somehow like to create a gift, a memento of this night for Samantha for those who enjoy personal touches and might like a small nod to where she's been.

So I bring you Sam & Sam:



Sam&Sam Serious:



Sam&Sam Goofy:




I extracted the pictures from their photos (semi-easy if you'd like to know how to do it, let me know, I got a link) and then fixed them up and used them to recolor the Inverted Vertigo, Cover art poster which is $60 in the catalog.

Download Sam & Sam Goofy
Download Sam & Sam Serious


15 comments:

Anonymous January 24, 2010 at 2:27 PM  

Oh dear. Samantha and Water. I can understand what drove her to accept and go with the flow. Loneliness does have a habit of making stupid choices.

I love the relationship between Sam and Samantha, even though it does look a little strained, it did some good for Samantha I think.

Apple Valley January 24, 2010 at 2:36 PM  

Sam and Water...maybe she'll help him be able to move on...I doubt it though, but it would be nice.

I love the extracted photos, please put a link-pretty pretty please.

Carla January 24, 2010 at 3:59 PM  

Cute pics! I wouldn't mind knowing how to extract those pics. They look better on the poster mesh than in the frame.

Yeesh, Samantha and Water! I had an inkling that this could happen eventually but I wonder if it was the best idea. Then again, she's not sticking around for too much longer so maybe it can just be an exciting memory for her! Sam probably wouldn't be thrilled but does Samantha know about Sam and Water?

Laura January 24, 2010 at 7:32 PM  

Oh wow, I kind of had a feeling this would happen. I also wonder if she knows about Sam and Water? I'm guessing probably not, since it's not generally advised to mess around with your only friend's dude, lol! Oooh, this could be bad!

But oh, I love those pictures!!! What a neat idea for her to have something tangible to remember her stay by when she makes it to other hoods :)

The Lunar Fox January 24, 2010 at 7:33 PM  

Carnaxa, I'm glad that did make sense. I was actually really worried about it, but please with how it turned out.

Sam has her own issues to worry about, but I hope that their friendship does have lasting repercussions on both character even if it's only subconscious.

Apple Valley, it's from Ms Barrows over at TSR in this post. No more pictures, but it's easy to follow along.


Carla, yeah, isn't that true? I love the idea of hanging them up with little bits of tape rather than using the frame.

Oh yeah, it was bound to happen with the way Water's been going. (I'm aiming for his romance want of 10 different sims.) As for what Sam knows, that'll be the next entry I think! (I can't promise 'cause sometimes these things go a different way than I intend.)

The Lunar Fox January 24, 2010 at 7:39 PM  

lol, Laura. You snuck up on me.

That's a very good guess. I think next entry will definitely wrap this all up.

And thanks. I figured it might be fun since we're all dealing with a clone and never the actual sim.

bbop January 25, 2010 at 1:42 PM  

OMG! Your picture idea was a really really cool idea. I'd love to try and have her keep some sort of memento from each place she visits.

So Samantha... wow. I'm trying to figure out what might make her leave or something...

anyway, so far I love what you've done with her. I liked reading about their trip to the restaurant.

S.B. January 25, 2010 at 2:48 PM  

The deep feeling of disorientation and disconnection...you make the most of it with the way you took these shots. Silhouettes. Acid unreal green. Even the color of the menu pops.

Samantha as tourist.

and what does that make Sam?

The encounter with Water was not surprising, but Samantha's description, 'nerve wracking', was interesting. Fun and nerve wracking like what, a roller coaster?

Just love your work!

The Lunar Fox January 25, 2010 at 7:19 PM  

Thanks Bbop. I hope you use these then, since when she gets to you this'll have been the only other place she's been, lol. If you need any help making a momento or something for her, I'd be willing to help you, just let me know. Maybe you can give her an in game object that holds dear and that the next person can put in her room somewhere! Wouldn't that be kinda awesome?

I think you'll be surprised at what makes her leave. I hope anyway.


Thank you, S.B. I have to admit I don't do much thinking with these stories, just get the shots while I'm playing the game. I do get the feeling that Samantha is still reeling even though she might be trying to convince herself otherwise and thinking she's ready to move on from previous hurts. She's still so young, only 23 here.

You're too kind, really. This blog is particularly a lost cause, and it's pretty much staying that way. My silly experimental Sims 2 stories.

Anonymous January 26, 2010 at 5:24 AM  

It is really neat that you made it work to send along the memento with her when she leaves you.

I'm getting really attached to her and hoping to see her happy eventually.

The Lunar Fox January 26, 2010 at 7:30 PM  

Thanks, Francesca! I hope it gets used, even if it only appears in the background. Carla and I were mentioning over in the comments for Sullivan we like looking for those little details; it's fun!

I love her, and I wish she could stay in my hood, lol. I do think I'll make her a townie so I can keep an eye out for her.

KDSGS January 27, 2010 at 8:21 AM  

Like I said, I will just dive in here, so please excuse if I am not familiar with any of the characters/backgrounds much. (or the concepts of legacies)
This was tightly written, focused...right on with the emotion. Great stuff. And sex in a photo booth. Ok, haven't done that, neither have my sims, what have we all been missing? Oh, did you get any shots of Water and Sam in the booth...just curious.

The Lunar Fox January 27, 2010 at 2:39 PM  

Don't worry Drew. Thanks for reading at all. This really stopped being a legacy about oh... year and a half ago now I think. I've been playing with the same batch of sims and characters now for two years.


No shots of Sam and Water in the phone booth. Even with all the time they spent in there, lol!

Thanks for popping in Drew, and for your kind words.

T.Irwin February 6, 2010 at 3:30 AM  

Love this story line! So interesting and it captures me so well!
You're right, the pictures were perfect!!

The Lunar Fox February 6, 2010 at 10:52 PM  

Thanks you, T. I really had some fun having Samantha Bradshaw in my game! I was actually sad to see her go!

About

My photo
I'm a proudly nerdy girl who knows too much about X-Men and has stories running through her head when walking. This is really my first real attempt to share just a few of the stories that not only play in my head when walking, but play out when I'm playing my sims. I hope you enjoy. ^___^

  © Free Blogger Templates Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP