How I select couples

>> Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Lately, I have just noticed a lot of bloggers noting ACR scores for their couples, and so I started to think about that myself.

I am mostly going to blame Water Mellon (And by proxy Samantha and Demi) for this post because I was sitting and thinking about those three characters in particular. They are the perfect example of how I hook up sims.



Water was in college, being the Big Man on Campus, when he got fake arrested for the Secret Society. The police officer who arrested him was none other than Demi.

As soon as I saw her, I simply wanted her in my game. It was love at first sight-- for me. I didn't really care what Water or Demi felt chemistry wise. (It was a plus when I saw they did have at least one lightening bolt, but that wasn't until a bit later when they actually got to know each other.)

I could see Water being absolutely fascinated by her. They'd shared a car ride and a fake arrest. A girl who'd fake arrest somebody as a side job would have to be interesting, right?

The fun part came when it was time to find her. I really did have him call the police station hoping she'd show up. When they stopped showing, I had to reload the lot and try some more. But no, we didn't find her that way. He actually ran into her again one day and that's how we got her.

Well, after that sort of chase, how could he not fall in love with her and give her some life? (referring to my poor restriction on the NPCs of course-- in game they live forever unless one of the playables "marry" them to bring them to life) Their chemistry wasn't the best, but I imagine that he really did/does love her.

For the most part, this is exactly how I pick out sim couples. It's like a whisper from a sim muse in my ear (or possibly from the sims themselves while I'm playing).

It sort of makes for interesting relationships. Like Water's mother, Ann Mellon, and his father, Alec. They had no bolts (though they didn't have negative bolts either), so I imagine that they were best friends throughout their lives. They just happened to get lucky that they never found the kind of chemistry that Ann's brother Walter has with Lucy.


Anyway, just thought I'd share because I'm thinking about it now and I always find it interesting to see how other people play their games. Ever have couples where you just feel they must belong together in each other's lives despite the chemistry?

9 comments:

Laura September 3, 2009 at 5:18 AM  

I totally get this! Especially the part you call "a whisper from your sim muse" :) I think when I've mentioned this before, I call that "light up the room factor." There has to be a certain part of me that falls in love with the couple, as well as them feeling it themselves. The chemistry ends up being only one piece of the puzzle, which gets factored in with their wants, personalities, stories, and the way they act in the game.

I have had low/no-chemistry couples, though in my game they tend to end up very close or connected best friends, like a soul buddy. (Like Aurora and Blake, or Justin and Stephanie) They end up having a different platonic kind of chemistry, which can be just as powerful as romantic chemistry, but different.

This is fascinating! I love these game play posts :)

Tanja September 3, 2009 at 10:02 AM  

It's practically the same in my game, although I don't put sims together who have negative bolts. But if I think a couple should be together, most of the time, they actually end up together too, even if their chemistry isn't that high.

Carla September 3, 2009 at 6:06 PM  

I usually will not put Sims together who have no bolts. It actually doesn't even cross my mind as a possibility most of the time but you've got me thinking that I might try it again sometime.

I've not done it yet in Sullivan but in the past, I've got completely neutral Sims together and once they fall in love, they usually get a bolt. Which is sort of interesting because not every couple has some sort of amazing electric connection the first time they meet, which is what I assume the bolts are supposed to represent. Sometimes it's the sort of thing that grows and develops as you get to know the other person.

The Lunar Fox September 3, 2009 at 6:27 PM  

I remember the "light up the room" factor! And now that I think about it, that's exactly what it is. There's something unique about the two characters as I see them that makes them perfect together.

lol, we play too similarly, Laura. I take in all the extra stuff into consideration too. While I was writing this post I couldn't think of a way to say it properly. I kept thinking of their situations. Sometimes things happen and people just come together, it's like that when I play my game. But the situation is basically the overview of all the other little factors you've mentioned. It's very true to life. Sometimes even if the chemistry is there, the time just isn't right at all.


Tanja, I have to agree. Putting together sims with Negative bolts doesn't work out very well. But I have managed to get sims who had negative bolts to go up to zero or one bolt just by talking. I guess their interests change as they chat and so it helps the chemistry.


Carla, I've had the same thing happen, just like I said above. It's like Moonlighting or something. Sims may dislike each other at the start, but then something changes and they're better. And I think it can be true to life too. Sometimes the first impression can be won over-- I know there have been a few people I initially thought "yuck" only to change my mind later on when I got to know them.

Oh here's something I forgot to ask, anyone ever break up a three bolt couple? Let me tell ya, Samantha has three bolts for Henry since the start, but they can't seem to stand each other. I don't know what happened or why, but they're on a fighting loop. (Not that they were going to get each other-- Henry has plans or something for Amberle.)

Laura September 3, 2009 at 7:47 PM  

I've also seen chemistry grow with time. I'm sure I've said this before, but I love how true to life the Sims chemistry system can seem sometimes. A lot of times it's just growing into turn-ons, but sometimes there are even these hidden factors, like when the relationship grows they get points, or falling in love gets them points. In fact, even having babies together gets them more points because I know for a fact that Matt and Leila Watts used to be 191, and now they're 192, lol!

I break up three-bolters all the time! My poor Amelia is on her fourth major three-bolt "relationship." Berjes and Hailey Monif had a huge three-bolts and they couldn't keep it together. Dallas had three-bolts with his first girlfriend, before he got together with Lucy. There are so many ways these things can fall apart, again, so very true to life :)

I don't know why I have so *many* three-bolt possibilities in my neighborhood - must be just because I have so many Sims.

maisie September 4, 2009 at 6:59 AM  

ooh interesting, I love reading how others play, and how couples got together.

I do relationships all sorts of way, sometimes it's not all about raw attraction, but a bond, or in some cases circumstances. Or sometimes... (shhh this is secret), I just think they will have cute babies. ;) Of course I've never hooked up negative bolt people, you can't find them unattractive, that isn't happy. ;)

The Lunar Fox September 5, 2009 at 1:34 PM  

Laura, that is amazing that you have so many three bolter couples! My sims are lucky to find a two bolter about half the time. But then, it might be because I'm not necessarily paying attention.

The chemistry is very interesting. I am going to have to make a note to try and pay a little more attention I think.

LOL, maisie. Don't you find it's hard to gauge when two sims will make pretty babies? Of course, I've had plenty of ugly sims in game, so I should be a pro at getting them by now.

This whim turned out interesting. I wait for future couples and future breakups with baited breath. XD

Carla September 5, 2009 at 8:57 PM  

I have definitely broken up three bolt couples! Abigail and Caleb were three bolts but Caleb doesn't care for her so much any more and they've dropped to 1 bolt!

I'm pretty sure there's another three bolt couple I've broken up but it's slipped my mind right now.

maisie September 7, 2009 at 7:38 AM  

"LOL, maisie. Don't you find it's hard to gauge when two sims will make pretty babies? Of course, I've had plenty of ugly sims in game, so I should be a pro at getting them by now."

Sometimes I'm definitely surprised by the spawn that comes from some beautiful sims. Plus that whole beauty in the eye of the beholder. Cause I find Hazel (in my game) really pretty, but she has a bit of a nose on her. Realistic enough, seeing as noses are the bane of many people's existence. ;)

About

My photo
I'm a proudly nerdy girl who knows too much about X-Men and has stories running through her head when walking. This is really my first real attempt to share just a few of the stories that not only play in my head when walking, but play out when I'm playing my sims. I hope you enjoy. ^___^

  © Free Blogger Templates Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP