Smoke and Chairs

>> Thursday, October 1, 2009






"It's a chair."


Alberta couldn't think of anything clever to say. It was indeed a painting of a chair. "Maybe it has some extra meaning? Something about carrying something until you become an inatimate object."

Gabe examined the painting for a moment before coming to the same conclusion as Kate. "Pretty sure its just a chair, Alberta."

"Now you know its serious. He agrees with me."

The three stood around the painting staring at it quietly as if they were waiting for it to speak and explain itself. Alberta was sure that she was the only one giving the artist the benefit of the doubt. It could have meaning. It was completely possible that even the fact that a painting of a chair got into the museum is itself a statement of something.


"Chairs," a strange woman said while walking over to them, "are a statement of our own classification and subjegation. Chairs do all the work for us, holding us up at dinner and in front of the TV while we get older and our asses get larger. But no one gives thanks to the chair for just doing its job. No one ever really looks at a chair."

Alberta wrapped an arm across her stomach, gripping her other arm tightly. Both Gabe and Kate were oddly silent watching the girl in surprise.

"Uhm, wow." Kate finally managed to say. "How do you get that from..."

"I painted it," The girl smiled at Kate as the Gabe and Alberta suddenly had to glance away. No one had noticed her standing on the floor before. Was it possible she'd heard them talking? How embarrassing!


The girl looked at the painting allowing Kate to glance away. "Yep. Put a lot of work into it too. Hours and hours."

Kate sucked in a breath which Alberta could swear would have (probably should have) been a curse. "You heard us?"

The girl winked at her. "We're the only ones on this floor you know."

"Crap. Sorry. Music's more my thing." Kate waved at Gabe. "He's got no excuse though."


The girl laughed. "It's alright. I'm partially jerking your chain anyway. I mean, c'mon-- it's a friggen chair in a museum. I had to make something up." She turned to them. "I'm Regina. Wanna go outside for a smoke?"

Alberta could see Gabe was ready to politely refuse. Kate was faster though. "Sure."




"Oh god, that's so good. The woman who runs the place wants me to be here to present my paintings. Told me to look nice. I think I look nice. She didn't think boots and a sun dress were appropriately 'nice.' Bitch."

Alberta really couldn't see the problem. "I think you look nice."

"Oh you're sweet. A bit innocent though, aren't you? Hopefully someone's watching out for you. Oh geeze," Regina held out her carton of cigarettes. "Did either of you want one? I'm going to guess that Innocence here doesn't smoke."

"Sure." Kate bravely reached out and took a cigarette from the carton. Alberta hadn't known that Kate smoked. Yet there was Kate, taking a cigarette like she had always known Regina and lighting it without stopping to think about it.

There were so many things she felt she didn't know and hadn't experienced yet; it almost made her feel a little out of place until Kate took her first drag and started coughing as if she would die.


"Kate, are you okay?" Alberta could see Gabe out of the corner of her eye crossing his arms over his chest and laughing.

Kate held up her first finger in response to Alberta's question as she fought the coughs, her eyes a tiny bit teary. She then shoved her lit cigarette at Gabe, "Here tough guy. You take it then."

"Your lips have been on that. I'm not taking it."

Regina held out her carton to Gabe. With a tiny roll of his eyes, he grabbed one cigarette, deftly lit it with Regina's lighter, and took a puff on it.


"Crap. Stop showing what a burn out you are."

"Do you want me to teach you?"

"No." Under her breath, Kate mummbled, "Jerk."

"Are they always like this?" Regina asked.

"Generally. This is them being nice, if you can believe it."

Regina laughed. "I can bet what you put up with."


Alberta didn't want to pepper Regina with a ton of questions, but there was so much she was curious about. Kate appeared interested too. Once she'd decided to just ignore Gabe and his teasing, she turned back to talk with Regina. Kate didn't worry about peppering Regina with questions; she asked the questions in the same way she'd acted as if she could smoke.

"Look, I will tell you this much. I'm eighteen and I have my own house. If you wanna know more, you'll just have to come over some time." Regina winked at Kate. "I better be heading back. See you all later."

15 comments:

Anonymous October 1, 2009 at 10:15 AM  

Look out!! Regina appears to be a saucy one!

I love the opening for this. "It's a chair." Drew me right in. The dialogue that follows reminded me of Magritte's famous "This is not a pipe" painting. :D

Carla October 1, 2009 at 4:54 PM  

Ha, I didn't think of it myself but I can definitely see the comparison to the Magritte here.

Have we ever seen Regina before? I'm pretty sure she's new, so I'm going to answer my own question. I think I might already love her. ;) I can imagine she and Alberta might have some interesting conversations.

The Lunar Fox October 1, 2009 at 10:12 PM  

LOL, I know the painting you're talking about. Maybe I need a "This is not a chair" painting somewhere. Wouldn't that be a funny header?

Saucy is a great word for her.


This is Regina's first appearance. I have definitely been holding onto her for a while. (She's been painting chairs in the background-- wait until you see her house. XD)

Oh my goodness, the conversation possibilities between those two! Haha, oh man. I can already hear one very short conversation between Kate, Regina and Alberta...

Tanja October 2, 2009 at 5:17 AM  

I really want to know what will happen next!
Will they take up on Regina's invitation? And if so, what will Regina show them!
I can't wait!

T.Irwin October 3, 2009 at 3:11 AM  

ha ha ha! such a great story. I love that whole conversation about the chair. I could see myself doing the same thing in my head at the museum.

The Lunar Fox October 4, 2009 at 10:47 AM  

Thanks Tanja. I can't wait to show where Regina lives. She is so fun to play. XD

Haha, thanks, T. I do that a lot when I go to the museum too. That and holding my glasses in my teeth pretending to be deep in thought.

Mizzgin03 October 6, 2009 at 6:50 AM  

I feel like that at museums so I can sympathize! I mean, sometimes a chair is just a chair, right? Not everything has a deeper meaning!!!

Laura October 7, 2009 at 8:01 AM  

Awww, I miss these guys! Kate and Gabe just play off each other like magic :)

Regina seems like an interesting character too.

The Lunar Fox October 8, 2009 at 10:45 AM  

lol, that's what I always say, Mizz!

Thanks Laura. While I was writing them, I was thinking the same thing. I miss them too. I'll hate to break them up when Gabe goes off to college.

Anonymous October 9, 2009 at 4:43 AM  

I have actually seen a group of people discussing a painting like the opening scene of this at the local art gallery.

Very interesting piece. Regina seems like a very self assured young woman. I love what she said to them about the painting. Very inventive.

xtinabobina October 10, 2009 at 12:46 PM  

hi there! my name is christina. i just wanted to say that i've stumbled across your blog in the past when trying to retrieve information on gunmod's lighting system. your post about it, with the screens and such, was very helpful. thanks so much.

i'm a sims-writer too and most of my stories (at the moment) are stored over at TSR. i'm working on a story blog but in the mean time, im running around through my friend's blogs searching for inspiration by reading their stories. i see you're working on creating stories using sims 3? i have two featured stories at TSR, one is available at my blog also. i would love to get your feedback, and maybe it might help/inspire you as well.

~xtinabobina.

Anonymous October 11, 2009 at 8:46 AM  

Hahah, a picture of a chair. I would have had the same reaction.

Regina seems like a world of trouble, I wonder what she gets into

The Lunar Fox October 11, 2009 at 10:35 AM  

Thanks for stopping by, Carnaxa! I have to admit that I feel a little sloppy on my sims story. I'm doing this one on the fly, so it's sort of my work laid raw, very much unlike Ruin.

Hi, Christina. I don't think I have a post about the lighting mod using pictures. (Though I might and have forgotten! XD) Maybe you're thinking of this post from Laura's Lakeside Heights

And I have started my Sims 3 story over here. I've got quite a few links up already of others who are working on sims 3 stories as well if you're looking for inspiration. You could also stop by Valley Sun Sims Forum which is how I got lucky enough to find these awesome stories!


Hi, heredon. Nice to see you! I'm sure Regina wouldn't know WHAT you could be talking about.

maisie October 13, 2009 at 10:35 AM  

Yay an update! I've missed this crew. I love the quippy remarks and Regina is intriguing. I was just thinking about the lack of "smoking" in the game, and here you are with a post with smoking in it. Shows there's lots out there, eh!

The Lunar Fox October 13, 2009 at 2:56 PM  

If you haven't gotten it, I would highly recommend Adele and Decorgal's collaborative Prop Hack. You can pose sims with the props and have them keep chatting. I think it looks rather natural.

lol, I can't wait for more of Regina. I think I'm going to have to send them to her house soon.

About

My photo
I'm a proudly nerdy girl who knows too much about X-Men and has stories running through her head when walking. This is really my first real attempt to share just a few of the stories that not only play in my head when walking, but play out when I'm playing my sims. I hope you enjoy. ^___^

  © Free Blogger Templates Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP